Why walking can help battle hours of sitting:
1. Walking is a great way to get your circulation going, which can improve overall health and well-being.
2. Walking also releases endorphins, which are hormones that combat stress and increase feelings of happiness.
3. Walking also helps burn calories and release toxins from the muscles and fat cells.
4. In addition, walking helps strengthen the bone structure and joints.
5. Additionally, walking has been shown to be an effective way to reduce anxiety and depression, as it increases the levels of serotonin in the brain
According to a recent study from Columbia University in New York, even just five minutes of walking every half-hour can counteract some of the most detrimental effects of prolonged sitting.
The research team examined five different exercise “snacks,” under the direction of Keith Diaz, PhD, an associate professor of behavioral medicine at Columbia’s Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons.
One minute of walking followed by 30 minutes of sitting, one minute following 60 minutes, five minutes after 30 minutes, five minutes after 60 minutes, and no walking were among the options.
“We would have only been able to give people our best predictions of the optimal regimen if we hadn’t compared various options and changed the frequency and length of the exercise,” Diaz said in a statement.